At the plastic and reconstructive surgery center of Paul Silverstein, MD, open and honest communications between Dr. Silverstein and his patients are essential to achieving the best possible results. This is true of all surgical procedures, including breast lift, one of the most transformative and rejuvenating of all the cosmetic options available at our practice. From the initial breast lift consultation on, Dr. Silverstein provides patients with straightforward, plainspoken information they need to make the most informed and confident decisions possible regarding whether to proceed with surgery.
While the success of breast lift surgery depends largely on the skill and experience of the plastic surgeon, it also depends on the willingness and ability of the patient to follow all pre- and post-operative instructions provided to them with absolute diligence. Patients can rest assured that Dr. Silverstein has the skill and experience to produce natural-looking, aesthetically pleasing breast lift results, along with many examples of actual patients as evidence of his abilities. As he discusses pre-op breast lift instructions during consultations at his Oklahoma City, OK plastic surgery practice, they will also learn whether they are able and willing to do their part to ensure the success of their surgery.
The following blog article presents general information about pre-operative preparations for breast lift surgery and is for educational purposes only. For information regarding your specific case, please schedule your consultation with Dr. Silverstein today.
What to Expect in the Weeks before Breast Lift Surgery
You will schedule your breast lift surgery weeks in advance. As your surgery begins to draw near, you will:
- Be asked to quit smoking, if you are a smoker: Smoking not only will interfere with your ability to heal after surgery, but can increase your risk of complications during surgery. It can also restrict the quality of results you are able to achieve. If you are a smoker, you would be well advised to quit before your initial consultation, because you will definitely be required to quit in order to undergo surgery.
- Have to arrange for time off work: Breast lift is a major surgical procedure. You will be unable to return to work for at least a week. If possible, you should arrange to take two weeks off work, but you will have to arrange for at least one week.
- Need to find someone to drive you to and from your surgical appointment: You will not be able to drive yourself home after your surgery. Most likely, you also won’t be able to perform even the simplest chores around the house for a day or two, so you may want to have that person stay with you during that span, too.
- Want to eat well and get exercise: If you already have a healthy diet and exercise routine, don’t alter it before surgery. Keep up the healthy lifestyle. If you don’t, you may as well improve your diet and exercise regimens before you arrive at your initial consultation, because you will want to be in the best shape possible as you go into surgery.
- Have to stop taking certain medications, vitamins, and supplements: Dr. Silverstein will provide you with this list.
What to Expect within 24 Hours of Breast Lift Surgery
Within 24 hours of your surgical appointment, you should:
- Confirm that you have all the items you need for your appointment: Dr. Silverstein will provide you with a checklist of these items ahead of time.
- Shower thoroughly: Shower and dry off completely, but do not apply any deodorants or perfumes afterward.
- Relax: Enjoy yourself the night before your surgery. Read a book, watch some TV, listen to some music - but avoid stress.
- Wear loose, comfortable clothes: And leave your jewelry, hair accessories, earrings and other piercings, and contact lenses at home.
- Not eat after midnight on the day of your surgery: But enjoy a good meal the night before your surgery.
Learn More about Pre-operative Breast Lift Instructions
To learn more about pre-op breast instructions, please contact the plastic surgery practice of Dr. Paul Silverstein today.